Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Day 2

What a full day! Starting bright and early this morning groups went out to serve in the various ministries City Impact runs everyday. Let's hear from a few of the students about their experience today...

First, 9th grader Juno Devine...

Walking into SFCA (K-8 school) initially it was rough to be blunt. The environment, setting, and aroma were all new. I was assigned to work with the Kinder- First grade division. I thought the same exact feeling of entering the school would carry on, I couldn’t have been more wrong. Working with these
energetic and passionate children open my eyes to a completely new world. These kids single-handedly made my trip. It meant the world seeing all of the kids smiling at the sight of me even through such adversity. It shined light on me showing me how happy these kids can be in such areas. I made me also realize how grateful I am to be apart of TKA where I have so much available to me.

Second, 9th grader Tyler Huff... 

On the first day we made cold calls to donors. It was a fun and new experience for me and my class mates.
I got to get outside my comfort zone and told people about the mission of City impact. Today I was able to work with kids in the SFCA (K-8 school). It was a fun and new experience being able to help those kids have a better day. It was fun doing God’s work and I hope I can do it again in the future.

Lastly, for the third year in a row we have senior Ryland Adzich on the trip who for the last several years has been coming to City Impact on her own! Here is what she is doing beyond TKA service weeks...

I am the project manager for a partnership between the Stanford Reading and Dyslexia Research Lab and San Francisco City Academy in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco. I administer the ROAR (Rapid Online Assessment of Reading) to students in K-8th grade.


The Rapid Online Assessment of Reading (ROAR) is an ongoing academic research project and online platform for assessing foundational reading skills. The ROAR is a suite of measures; each is delivered through the web browser and does not require a test administrator. The ROAR rapidly provides highly reliable indices of reading ability consistent with scores on other standardized reading assessments.

I have been administering assessments since the fall and in this current round of spring testing, I am hopeful that the score report data can help teachers understand how to help their students best.

Wow, what amazing stories and those are only three of our students! Look here for more student reflections. Lastly, check out the pictures from today... https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZypQiFFbp1SFonYTA

Mr. Wilton

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 5

Today, we served City Impact one last time by cleaning all the dorms for the next group coming to serve. After breakfast Mr. Joslyn shared a...